LinkedIn have introduced a new QR Code and Scan feature in their mobile app so that you can connect easily and quickly when out and about. And you can even add it to your email signature too. It's very simple, quick and easy to do. Find how more about how to do it here.
Why is this important?
There are 3 ways you can use the code to grow your network and connect more easily.
1. Networking Event
Let’s say that you are at a networking event and you would like to connect with someone there and then. But if you either have a common name i.e. John O’Brien and / or a poor profile with no picture, keywords and very little info on your profile, it could take the other person a few minutes of searching and scrolling to find you. They might just give up, take your business card and then never connect with you. It's such a missed opportunity to grow your network! So if you don’t appear immediately this shortcut is very valuable for connecting immediately (but you should update your profile with your correct job title and add in a picture at least!)
2. Send the code to someone via email, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp
Secondly, you can share your code with someone via any of the messaging services. Maybe you got someone's business card, can’t find them on LinkedIn but you have their email address. It could be just as easy for you to send them your own QR code directly instead of searching and finding someone who you think is them, but they don’t have a photo up and very little detail on their profile. But just remember, if you send them your QR code via email you will have to explain to them how to scan the code using their phone! (Just send them a link to this blog if it helps)
3. Add it to your email signature
Thirdly, you can add it to your email signature and encourage more connections. To do this:
How does it all work?
*Note! This feature is only on mobile, so if you are looking for the QR on desktop, it won’t exist*.
1. Go to your newsfeed.
2. Look at the top for the search bar.
3. Tap the 3 small boxes and code.
4. Next, you will see a Scan or Code screen.
5. To get your QR code, tap ‘MY CODE’.
6. To scan someone else’s code go to ‘SCAN’ and hover the white square over the QR code.
7. LinkedIn will scan the code and take you directly to the person's profile and voilà, you can connect with the person there and then by following the usual steps of connecting.
And there you have it! Happy connecting :)